Forest / Wild Fire in United Kingdom, Wales, Blaenau Ffestiniog
Twenty homes have been evacuated in a town in North Wales after a fire broke out on a mountain following the Easter weekend's record-breaking temperatures. North Wales fire and rescue are dealing with the blaze in Blaenau Ffestiniog, a town just north of Snowdonia National Park. Road closures were implemented in the early hours of the morning to allow firefighters to tackle the blaze. Firefighters were called at about 8.23pm on Monday night and residents were asked to leave their homes in the early hours of Tuesday. In a statement, the North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: "Four appliances and an Ariel Ladder Platform were called to a large gorse fire near Llechwedd, Blaenau Ffestiniog. "Approximately 20 properties were evacuated overnight and part of the High Street in Blaenau Ffestiniog remains closed this morning to allow the emergency services to deal with the incident. "Since Friday, there have also been around 20 smaller incidents across North Wales involving grass, gorse and bracken. Many of these fires resulted in multiple calls to the control room from concerned members of the public." One resident tweeted: "Massive shoutouts to the fire fighters that are working to keep the mountain fire in Blaenau Ffestiniog under control and have been since early last night. You're all amazing! Was scary to see and I'm glad everyone is safe." Kevin Jones, community safety manager of North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: "During drier periods, fires involving grass, bracken and heather can develop very quickly, particularly in raised winds, resulting in fires getting out of control and spreading to neighbouring properties or forestry, with the need for the fire and rescue service to be called out to extinguish them. "We are urging visitors to the countryside to take extra care when they are out and about and reduce the risk of fire. "Make sure that any smoking materials are discarded and extinguished properly. If you are out camping, make sure you have permission to light a camp fire and barbecues and they are fully extinguished following their use."